There has been an age old debate as to whether or not young children should be assigned schoolwork to take and complete at home. While there are many parents that are for the idea of homework, there are others who are against it. Both sides have their reasons and they both make some very valid points, but who is right? To understand the argument for homework and the argument against it, we are going to have to take a look at some of the pros and cons of each side and see which side you are on.
- Homework enables families to come together in an effort to help their child understand the assignment and give them the assistance they need to complete it.
- Homework can prepare students for tests where they won’t have the assistance of their teacher and they will have to complete the test on their own based on their knowledge. This is knowledge they gain from completing homework assignments.
- Homework enables students to develop responsibility. Knowing that their homework is due on a specific day and that they have a certain amount of time to complete it, can help them develop a better sense of responsibility.
- Homework enables parents to see what their children are learning and how they are being educated.
- Children need time after school to decompress and to relax without being pressured into doing more schoolwork. Children’s brains need time to refresh if they are to develop properly.
- Homework reduces the amount of time that children spend with their families. This can mean any problems the child is dealing with can go unnoticed and lead to something major.
- Homework can lead to conflict between children and their parents. The child might not want to do their homework, but the parents want them to do it right away after school which can lead to arguing and resistance.
- Homework can encourage cheating, especially is the child is assigned too much of it. Some children will do their homework together which can lead to copying off one another in an effort to finish it sooner.
How you can help your child with their homework
If your child is struggling with their homework and having difficulty learning assignments in class, private tuition could be the answer. Hiring a tutor to provide your child with the additional teaching they need can increase their grades and their confidence as well.
To learn more about private tuition in London and how maths and English tuition can benefit your child, contact inTuition Clubs, a purpose built learning environment designed to support and inspire today’s students.
If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it on your favourite social media sites.